Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Holding friends close?


     I miss my friends back in the Philippines. Some of the ways I used to show affection to them was to hold their hands, sit close next to them and have deep talks. This is one of the nice Filipino customs between friends.

     A few weeks ago, one of my close friends and I went shopping in a nearby mall. Naturally as per Filipino custom, we showed ourselves as a friends by  holding  hands while we walked. I knew it was nothing because we are both girls. When we got home, our elderly Filipino friend asked us if we held hands or sat close to each other in the mall. I was wondering why she asked that since I believe there is nothing wrong with doing that.. She explained that doing those things to show your closeness is not the customs here in the US. People might think you may be in a relationship with the other person.

      I suddenly thought about an Am-girl that was so kind to me and I felt so close to her. I showed my  friendliness to her by doing the Filipino customs (holding hands, sitting close to each other, took picture together) but I didn't realize she may misunderstand my way and think that I wanted a relationship with her.

     Its very hard to change your  customs when you have been practicing them  all your life. But I'm trying hard to break myself to this habit in public as Americans do not seem to understand this custom. However when I'm only with my Filipino friends I plan to continue to follow the custom.

9 comments:

emmanuelmateo said...

let us not forget our customs..although customs of America is far different from us, we should not take it for granted

Adang said...

sa atin normal lang yung mag holding hand ang girl. Dito naman sa Qatar may mga Indiano at Nepali akong nakikitang mga nag hoholdong hands, custom daw sakanila yung ganun, pero pag sa lalaki mukhang masagwang tignan :)

musingan said...

ahahaha... me too.. I miss my friends in the PHILIPPINES... ehehehhe... ganyan talaga

Kamila said...

my mom also told me that...nyahahaha... but I really careless aboout what people will say. :)

Unknown said...

I haven't been to any places abroad, but I know a handful of OFW friends who have blended with the customs of their host countries. Inherent culture is indeed a hard habit to break. What are customary in our country might be taboo to other countries.

*bunny hop*

Arvin U. de la Peña said...

Saan mang panig ng mundo dapat panatilihin pa rin ang pagiging pinoy..

halojin said...

natural lang kasi sa atin yun! ^_^ Pinoy tayo eh ^_^

p.s.
nene sori kung now lang nakadalaw panu ba naman kasi sobrang busy sa school

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

You don't have to change your lifelong ways just because you are already in America. And I don't think your newfound Phil-Am friend will misunderstand you just because you are malambing to her. Just explain to them that you were so used to that kind of custom. Americans are a hugging nation and that is worse than being malambing. I still am not used to have a closing remarks by my readers as ""hugs."" And Americans talk so close to your face that you can smell their breath which is so horrible to me. So do not change for their sake because you are more wonderful and beautiful as you are. Thanks for the post. God bless you always. BTW, I came from the blog of Arvin.

didith said...

pano kc malisyoso mga tao duon kya ganown!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...